Thursday, July 26, 2007

Attitude Before Weight Loss, The Muscle Building Mentality

Why is it that so many people are overweight in today's society compared to times past? Is it the fast food, McDonalds, KFC and Hungry Jacks that make us lazier and less active or maybe it's the extreme advances in transport technology. Perhaps the abundant amount of indoor entertainment that only requires a click of a remote control or the touch of a keyboard is causing it. There are hundreds of theories of what is causing it. However, to be honest I would be disappointed if you believe that these are the true culprits of obesity.

"A bad worker blames his tools," they say and in the same way, "a bad weight loser blames his food and entertainment." We can't simply blame everything on the fast food, entertainment and transport. We have to take some responsibility for ourselves. Has Ronald McDonald ever knocked on your door and shoved a Big Mac with fries in your mouth as you answered. He certainly hasn't done that to me. Every time I've had McDonalds I have consciously made a decision to eat McDonalds food. We have to take the blame and be responsible for ourselves. This is the first step to a good weight losing mentality.

Not only is making an effort to avoid junk food enough to get you fit and losing weight either. Saying, "I'll start on that cycling machine tomorrow," is not going to get you anywhere even if you are eating healthily. Neither is pondering on how good you might look with 5% body fat going to help. This is the kind of thing that Joe Average will say. We need to make a conscious effort to JUST DO IT and stop procrastinating. Listen to Nike my friends. Just get on that exercise machine right now and start burning the fat and growing the muscles. I can't stress this enough that in order to succeed in losing weight and gaining muscle it is essential to have the, "Just do it", mentality. I learned this the hard way.

I have a good friend from my high school days who was a short average sized guy. However, he had a goal of building muscle and his mentality was perfect for his goal. Sure he was small then but I met him just the other day and he sure wasn't small anymore. He had the "just do it" mentality and the right attitude. People would often ask him, "how long are you going to be on that diet for?" and his reply was always, "it's not a diet it's a lifestyle". This is a perfect example of the attitude I am talking about. There's no point losing a couple of kilos if all you're going to do is put it back on again. Like my friend said to me it has to be a lifestyle.

You could have all the workout machines money could buy and all of the weight loss and muscle gain e-books in the world and you still wouldn't lose weight if you didn't do something about it first. Procrastination is the key for failure and an, "I'll take responsibility for myself and just do it" is the recipe for success as far as weight loss and muscle building is concerned.